Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Brands get tablet publishing a bit more than you think

Yesterday I included an item from Brandweek that lamented the lack of brands that have iPad apps. The premise was that brands were falling behind others, like newspapers and magazines, when it came to using the iPad as a platform.
Photobucket
I held my tongue a little because I didn't want to slam the article, I simply wanted to pass it along. But when I wrote my own post about it something didn't feel right. Are brands really behind media companies when it comes to using the iPad to promote themselves? It didn't feel right.

Today comes another example of a brand using the iPad to push product: this new app from Chrysler promoting the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is the first app inside iTunes from Chrysler, but the company follows VW, Infiniti and BMW who have apps in iTunes. (Toyota and Nisan have iPhone apps.) Oh, Daimler AG has apps, as well. And . . . you get the idea.

I think brands get it -- probably way more than media companies do. Just search for iPad apps from B2B media companies, it is definitely in the "needle in a haystack" area. One of the reasons you will see more and more brands release apps is simply that agencies understand that they have to show that they understand where consumers are heading -- whether that includes social media, mobile or tablets, or just about anywhere else the clients customers are going.

0 Comments: