Friday, December 3, 2010

A look ahead to next week: Freedom Communications releases four new newspaper iPad apps; tablet app from Portugese news magazine Visão looks very promising

With all the depressing news out there today concerning WikiLeaks, the economy and more, it would probably be a good time to sit back and look at some new newspaper and magazine tablet apps. But, honestly, I'm just not up for it. So I'm going to spend the weekend living with these newly released media apps and will write up the posts for Monday.
Photobucket
A preview of Monday posts:

• TNM reader Pedro Monteiro has been working with a team on an app for the Portugese news magazine Visão. The app, Revista Visão, looks very promising.

Interestingly, a decision was made to make the app landscape only, the opposite choice some developers have made. Of course, this means that the app will be totally "native" since print magazines are portrait. Looking at a few of the articles the choice seems like a good one and this is certainly one post I look forward to writing.

• Freedom Communications has released four more iPad apps for its newspapers. The apps are for the Burlington Times-News, The Daily Press (Victorville, Calif.), The Gaston Gazette (Gastonia, North Carolina), and the Northwest Florida Daily News.

Unlike the app from Visão, I'm kind of dreading looking at these apps. They appear to be developed by Handmark and look at first blush like overblown iPhone apps. I've written some very positive things about the media apps from Handmark and they regularly send me press releases about their latest apps. But I've heard nothing about these and stumbled upon them on one of my regular trips to the iTunes App Store. Oh God, this could be ugly.

So rather than end my week by blasting some newspaper publishers for completely blowing their tablet strategy, I think I'll spend some time with all these apps and come back Monday. Maybe I'll win the lottery between now and then and come back in a giddy mood. (Good luck with that.)

0 Comments: