Friday, December 17, 2010

Morning Brief: Executive at Apple supplier gets nabbed for providing inside information; don't report those numbers!

The Business Journal reported yesterday on the arrest of Walter Shimoon,a senior director of business development at Flextronics in San Diego, an Apple supplier. He is accused of funneling information about Apple's product plans to investors through Primary Global Research, a Mountain View consultancy.

According to the report Shimoon has alleged to have been caught on tape giving the research firm information on Apple's new tablet project, what became the iPad. "It’s a new category altogether. I believe it’s called K48 ... At Apple, you can get fired for saying K48 ... outside of a meeting that doesn’t have K48 people in it. That’s how crazy they are about it."

Maybe Primary Global should get out of the tech consulting business and become a media firm.



If you don't like the numbers, don't report them.
Photobucket
That seems to be the message sent by the folks at Research in Motion. RIM reported its Q3 earnings and most of the press is pretty impressed with the sales numbers. So why is it that the maker of BlackBerry has announced that it will no longer report its subscriber growth numbers?

Oh well, things will get interesting once the launch, if they launch, their BlackBerry Playbook -- still several months away. For publishers, iOS and Android continue to be where the action is. Only the largest media firms can develop for all the mobile platforms (as can the third party vendors).

But that fact doesn't seem to faze RIM's CEO Jim Balsillie who once again went on a tear during the company's conference call:

I think the PlayBook redefines what a tablet should do. I think we've articulated some elements of it, and I think this idea of a proprietary SDK and unnecessary apps -- though there's a huge role for apps -- I think is going to shift in the market, and I think it's going to shift very, very quickly. And I think there's going to be a strong appetite for web fidelity and tool familiarity. And I think there's going to be a rapid desire for high performance. And I think we're way ahead on that. -- Yahoo transcription.
Drink decaf often helps.



For those who may have wondered what happened to the series I was writing on B2B media . . . but there aren't any TNM readers wondering, are there? You see I doubt that many people directly involved in the B2B media business read TNM -- at least that is my impression based on the feedback I get, as well as my traffic numbers.

I did write those follow-up posts, quite a number of them actually. But this morning I decided to delete them all. They were very long, thoughtful pieces about what troubles the B2B media industry when it comes to New Media and what could be done about it. Then reality hit: B2B media executives don't give a shit about New Media. The people I know in B2B either already get it, or they are just plain hopeless -- I don't know anyone in between. So why waste posts on people who thing site redesigns and new content management systems are a part of New Media strategy?

So let's move on and talk about the things of importance to TNM readers.

0 Comments: