Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New York Times iOS updates hit the App Store; updates allow for inclusion in Newsstand, as well as bug fixes

It's the end of the day for me, I'm outta here. But I where oh where is the NYT update? Yep, there it is.

Late this afternoon the updates for the New York Times hit the App Store, in what had to be the busiest day in the store's history. As you'd expect, the update to the iPhone and iPad apps make them iOS 5 compliant, move them into Newsstand, and fix the usual bugs.

But the NYT iPhone app has me a little puzzled. Yes, it requires a subscription, but is it really a periodical, something that should "sit" on a Newsstand? The app is an RSS readers that presents its content as 24/7, not something that is read in the morning.

Do apps like these really belong in Newsstand? (My answer is "no", these kinds of apps can do more than deliver news, I would keep mine out.)

0 Comments: