Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Christmas wish list: from tablet ad networks to new VCs; plus stock stuffers from Apple and Google

I like to wait until the last minute to do my Christmas shopping, it's mimics the adrenaline rush I used to get while working at daily newspapers. But time is getting short, and Santa needs my list if there is any chance of me getting what I want.

So I have come up with a list of things I'd like to see under the tree Sunday morning, as well as a few items I think Santa should consider giving others. Here we go:

1) Small item first: please, Santa, can you find a way to put a stop to those market share stories the media, especially the tech media, like to write about Apple and Google and Samsung and you-name-it? I know it sounds trivial, but I really don't know if I could stand another year of Business Insider saying "Apple is doomed" on day before they report on Apple's record earnings.

OK, now for the real goodies.


2) Santa, I could really use an inexpensive tablet publishing solution – and so could a lot of TNM readers. If I were a well funded start-up, Adobe's outrageously priced solutions would work; a not as well funded start-up could use Mag+; but what about the rest of us?

3) Oh, and throw in a new tablet ad network or two. I may be a big believer in in-house ad staffs, but most start-ups need an ad network to sell ads at the beginning, especially bloggers moving their titles onto a tablet.

4) A newspaper, just one, that recognizes that geolocation and local businesses are a match made in heaven. I'm still waiting for some newspaper company that realizes that digital subscriptions will only get you so far, that the print media world is making a big mistake, a fatal mistake, by giving up on advertising models. Mobile phones + classified advertising seems so made of each other. Come on ad guys, get in the game!

5) Santa, I know you don't like it when someone wishes bad things to happen to others, but we in the media world could really use the complete collapse of the PE industry. We don't need another PE firm coming in and buying up properties, laying off staffs and then selling the titles off again (or declaring bankruptcy). No, what we need is what we had in the late nineties, a VC community willing to invest in new businesses. Far too many investment firms are only interested in finding the next Facebook, even though they wouldn't recognize it if it stood in front of them. No, we need money spread around to new media start-ups without a PE guy added to the board.

OK, now how about a few stocking stuffers:

From Apple: a new iPad with Siri, a higher resolution display, and a faster processor. (You know, this might be the only gift I actually will get.)

From Google: support staff. Period. (I still have unresolved issues with Google that are two years old. I couldn't imagine the same thing happening with any other company.)

Finally, since this is the season of giving, so here what I'd like Santa to give others:

The Democrats: a spine. The Republicans: sanity, if that's not possible then a heart.

Greece: a winning lottery ticket; the U.K.: an expired Eurorail pass.

The Giants (S.F.): a bat; the Colts (Indy) a new neck for Payton; Les Habs (Montréal) a 21-year old Jean Béliveau; the Clippers (L.A.): oh, I think they've gotten their Christmas presents already.

The WSJ editorial board: a subscription to The Nation; The Nation: an advertiser; Patch editors: a raise; Bankers: a cut in pay.

To everyone else: peace and prosperity, love and best wishes.

2 Comments:

Tablazines said...

LMAO. Love this article.

I'd be happy for ONE THING this Christmas...

"3) Oh, and throw in a new tablet ad network or two. I may be a big believer in in-house ad staffs, but most start-ups need an ad network to sell ads at the beginning, especially bloggers moving their titles onto a tablet."

Give me THAT... and I'm good lol

Anonymous said...

All I want for Christmas: no staff meetings in 2012 that begin with "we all know it's been a tough year, so we're going to have to tighten our belts..."