Thursday, December 1, 2011

Retweet: DropVox lets you record on your phone and save audio files to Dropbox

If you own an iPhone or iPad and you are in the media business you probably use Dropbox, it is one of those essential apps that just plain works.


If you do interviews, as I do occasionally, one of the biggest issues on faces is recording them and then transcribing the quotes. To do this I usually use my iPhone and then later plug my phone into my computer, the audio file is then automatically transferred to iTunes.

But an app from Irradiated Software called DropVox might be another solution. The app costs $1.99 and this is how it works: you record using DropVox and when you are done the file is automatically sent to Dropbox – simple idea that makes a lot of sense.

Now, the reason this post is being called a "retweet" is because this app was called to my attention by the website journalism.co.uk. They review the app yesterday and gave it a five star rating. Maybe you read the review yourself.

But there is one big thing missing from the review that can be discerned from the App Store reviews: if you do not have a good Internet connection at the time you finish your recording you may, reviewers say, lose your recording. Gone, kaput, vanished, bye-bye.

I still think the idea behind DropVox is great and may be trying it out myself. But a lost interview recording would be very bad news, indeed. So proceed with caution and hopefully the developer will be reading the reviews and figure out a work around.

1 Comment:

Tablazines said...

This is just what I needed for myself and my writers.