Friday, March 8, 2013

The Church of Scientology releases a tablet edition for Celebrity (and, of course, John Travolta is on the cover)

My God everyone is launching a tablet edition, even the Church of Scientology – or at least Lon Ferry, whoever he is** (he's listed as the seller inside the App Store.

The app description for Celebrity Magazine is one of the shortest I've ever seen. But what is truly bizarre is that it includes a phone number and email address – talk about inviting "feedback". I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that in-box.

Hey, anybody who knows me knows I have little patience for organized religion, so I was so looking forward to looking at this new tablet edition, so here goes...

Damn, it's good. It really is. It's a little out there – that is, the content scares the shit out of me. But then again, anybody who thinks they know they meaning of life and doesn't answer "pizza!" scares me.

But as a tablet edition, well, it's excellent. Yes, it is a natively designed digital magazine that uses scrolling within stories and swiping to move to the next one. There are in-story buttons that add content, and there is even embedded video.

The tablet edition inside is designed in portrait only, but because all the content is right inside the app the first issue weighs in at 312 MB. Despite it's size it downloaded almost instantly (it's a miracle!).

I don't know if you have the balls to download this one, but it's free, and I assume it can be deleted. But after looking at dozens of misshaped replica editions all week, it is weird to end up with one that contains a picture of L. Ron Hubbard wearing an ascot, and still having to admit that it's a damn good tablet edition.

As you would expect, both the app and its contents are free. The app says it is a universal app but it did not load onto my iPhone 5 and doesn't show up in the list of apps I could install, so I am thinking that the app description is mistaken and a mobile version of the tablet edition is not included with the app.

**A search online finds that the person with the developer account is an 18-year-old from Menlo Park and has "been engaged in Scientology my whole life." Make of that what you will.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Only God and the minions in Scientology HQ know what that app has uploaded to their servers. The best of luck man, the best of luck.